Alchemy Wedding Photography Cornwall, UK
Hello, we are David and Christine Wilkins, a Wedding Photographer and Videographer team based in Cornwall, UK.
As a husband and wife team, we have been photographing weddings together since 2011 and more recently have added film to our list of services.
We have photographed over 500 weddings and have been a Top 30 UK wedding photographer since 2016.
We cover mainly Cornwall and the UK but we love to travel and are happy to take our services worldwide
What are some of the most important things to consider when thinking about wedding photography & videography?
When it comes to hiring a hybrid wedding photographer/videographer, one of the first questions must be what is your preferred style - would you like a more formal approach or would you be happy with a casual documentation of your day in a reportage style, in both your pictures and film.
What parts of the day would you like covered, thinking in terms of both photo and video.
What are the most important questions to ask your photographer/ videographer?
1. Do you have insurance? This is essential to cover your day and many venues require it, all professionals should have public liability insurance.
2. Do you have back up equipment? Another essential.
3. Can I see a wedding gallery that covers the full day, not just a portfolio of half a dozen pictures?
4. How many weddings does your wedding photographer/videographer take on? This is important, you don’t really want someone who does 60 weddings a year, as this is a huge workload and you may not be their priority. We do between 25-30 weddings a year, which is a good balance.
5. What happens if your photographer/videographer is ill on the day? I have a network of photographer friends to call on, although I have never had to do this.
6. What is included in the wedding package and how is it delivered? This is something to work out in advance, not everyone is a tech wizard.
7. Has your photographer/videographer worked at your wedding venue before and will the person you initially deal with be there on your day?
8. Ask if they are willing to travel to another location on your wedding day.
What style of wedding photos are there?
In the days of film photography there used to be only one type of wedding photography called traditional or classic, the constraints of film meant that photographers concentrated on posed couple shots and group shots.
With the digital age came more adventurous styles.
Contemporary or Artistic is where the photographer will add more of their vision to create some stunning shots but this may not necessarily be in keeping with your vision of the wedding day.
In recent times, Reportage has become very popular and this style aims to capture the emotion of the day through unobtrusive candid shots, although this type of photographer will still be happy to do your group shots but it is definitely worth checking this before you book.
My approach is to embrace a mixture of these styles to give you the best of both worlds and we talk about your preferences in the pre-wedding meeting, so that on your wedding day I can deliver exactly what you want.
The services we offer
We offer a range of services from all day photography to hybrid video and photography packages.
You may want the whole day captured on film or just the ceremony.
We can switch seamlessly from photo to video and with just one team to book we can be a lot less intrusive than having a separate dedicated videographer and less expensive of course!
We work as a team with Christine as the dedicated photographer.
What makes you different/unique compared to your wedding competitors? What do you do differently?
My background is landscape photography and when I moved into wedding photography my goal was to capture the wonderful scenery we have down here in Cornwall and incorporate it into my wedding photography focusing on creating a perfectly balanced image. I love a beach wedding!
One thing I like to do is tailor my style to your requirements, the pre-wedding meeting is the ideal time to get to know you and your preferences for your big day.